The governors and staff of the school are committed to encouraging the children to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables during their school week in order to support parents ensure a better diet for their children.
Additionally, the Government has introduced a scheme whereby every child in Foundation and Key Stage One is entitled to one piece of fruit or vegetable each day free of charge.
Each child is also given a water bottle when he/she joins the school and this remains on the classroom desk for the day, so that water can be readily accessed at any time of the day. This bottle is taken home each night to be washed and replenished ready for the next day.
Similarly, the canteen staff is also committed to providing a balanced menu and follows the ‘Fresh Start’ scheme. This is a national initiative that guarantees a good quality balanced meal using freshly prepared ingredients sourced locally wherever possible.
Our meals are provided by Devon Norse and are freshly made each day in the kitchen at Axminster Primary School.
- At least 75% of dishes are freshly prepared
- Meat is farm assured and eggs are from cage-free hens
- Menus are seasonal and in-season food is highlighted
- All dietary needs are catered for
- Staff members receive regular training and
- No undesirable additives and hydrogenated fats are used.
Our kitchen also cooks meals for several other local schools. We run a ticket system so parents can purchase these in advance and their children can bring a ticket in on any day they wish to have a school meal. Menus are sent home at the start of each term. Pupils can bring their own packed lunches if they are not choosing a school meal on a particular day.
Universal Infant Free School Meals
From September 2014 all children in Reception and KS1 are entitled to a Free School Meal. We are delighted that over 90% of eleigible children at Axminster are taking up the option of having a healthy fresh school meal each day.
Free School Meals/Pupil Premium
We encourage all parents who are eligible for the following benefits to apply for Free School Meals even if they are in Reception or KS1. This is because the school receives extra income, currently £1300 per year, which we use to provide additional support for your child. Please ring Devon County Council Free School Meals on 0345 1551019 if you think you may be eligible - you will usually be given an immediate decision and the school will be notified on your behalf.
You can register for Free School Meals/Pupil Premium if you get any of these benefits:
- Income-based & Contribution-based JSA or ESA on an equal basis
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Please see the Pupil Premium Page for more information on the benefits of receiving Free School Meals.
You can also apply on line by visiting Free School Meals - register online or phone 0345 1551019
|Free School Meals Application Form.pdf||393.05 KB|
|2017-03-29 Devon Norse Primary School Menu b.pdf||297.02 KB|
|Devon Norse menu Autumn-Spring 2017-2018.pdf||288.62 KB|