SIAMS Inspection - March 2015
Marshwood CE Primary Academy, was awarded an overall 'good' by the Statutory Inspection of Anglican, Methodist and ecumenical Schools (SIAMS). The SIAMS inspection focuses on the effect that the Christian ethos of a church school has on the children and pupils who attend it.
Several important aspects of the school were judged by the inspector to be outstanding; relationships between all of the school community; the staff and governors commitment to developing the Christian character of the school; the pupils’ behaviour and the excellent support for pupils with learning difficulties. The leadership and management of the school was also judged to be outstanding and that the support of the Acorn MAT, through the Executive Head and the Head of Christian Distinctiveness, was invaluable in improving provision (See attached report).
Who are we?
- 4 children from Yr3 / Yr4/ Yr 5 and Yr 6 in the school.
- 1 Foundation Governor.
- 1 Member of staff.
What is our Purpose?
- To think about what makes our schools special as a Church School.
- To think about how we can make our school a caring place.
- To help plan and improve the assemblies and prayers we hold each day in school.
- To help plan and improve the celebrations we hold through the school year.
- To look at what we learn in RE and what resources we use.
- To look at the ways we can help our local and wider communities.
How will we do it?
- We will meet to talk and come up with ideas.
- We will watch collective worship assemblies and think of ways to improve them.
- We will talk to the children, parents and staff in school to find things out.
- We will tell the governors about the work we are doing as a committee.
- We will evaluate our changes to see if they improve the way we work in school.
- We will write and very short action plan to show how we will improve our ethos.
What we Believe is Important?
- To make sure everyone in school, our parents, governors and friends are included in the way we celebrate, worship and pray in school.
- To make sure we all feel safe, happy and cared for in the way God wanted.
- To make sure we respect each other, trust each other and enjoy being part of our school family together.
- To make sure every child's needs in school are met.
Our collective worship is a central part of the ethos in the school and our daily act of worship strengthens and promotes our Christian values.
- We are a Christian family at the heart of our community.
- We believe in a school founded on our core Christian values of love, peace, perseverance, friendship, good choices and celebrating life.
- We believe in developing each child spiritually, morally and socially within a Christian context, helping each child to consider their own attitudes, values and beliefs.
- We believe in forging a partnership with parents, the local parish and the wider community
We have an an Ethos Committee that consists of four children from Years 3,4,5 and 6 plus a Foundation Governor and the Head of School. We work together to look at different parts of our school life and make suggestions as to how they can be improved and this is shared with the governing body. We also evaluate our collective worship, and we are currently focussing on developing an outdoor prayer space for everyone to enjoy.
Collective Worship at Marshwood
Every day, the school meets in St Marys Church or school for whole school worship.
- Monday – 15:10 - Open the Book worship with Mrs Morgan.
- Tuesday - 15:10 - Singing worship led by Ms Pooley (see Church Worship Schedule below).
- Wednesday - 15:10 - School Council & Marshwood Stars Worship, during which children are acknowledged for showing particular Christian values and learning behaviours. Led by Mr. Owen.
- Thursday – 15:10 – PSHE worship led by Ms Pooley.
- Friday – 15:00 - Celebration Worship, weekly certificates are awarded for the School Core Values and other achievements in the presence of parents, carers and friends who are all welcome to join in and take part. Led by Mr. Owen
We also hold special services to mark Christian festivals at St Mary’s Church, and enjoy rgualar visits from Rev. Stephen and our Ethos Governor Rob Greenman, who both lead whole school collective worships.
Our Worship Themes come from our six half termly Christian Values:
Autumn 1: Love & Compassion
Jesus said, "Love your enemies!...In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven...If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that?...If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Extracts from Matthew 5:43-47
Autumn 2: Thankfulness (Christmas)
Let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to love in peace. And always be thankful. Colossians 3:15
Spring 1: Service
Work with enthusiasm, as though you are working for the Lord rather than for people. Ephesians 6:7
Spring 2: Peace (Easter)
Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you. 2 Corinthians 13:11
Summer 1: Forgiveness
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?" "No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven!" Matthew 18: 21-22
Summer 2: Endurance
All nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved. Matthew 10:22
|Marshwood SIAMS Report March 2015||106.29 KB|
|Marshwood Christian Values Oak Leaf||356.86 KB|
|Church Worship Schedule Spring Term||41.75 KB|